Audience Insights allow you to build a custom Brand Audience based on search activity over the last 30 days. unveiling the behavioral profile of those searchers which can be used for targeting. By typing in category, competitive, life stage, or lifestyle search terms related to your marketing objectives, you can:
- Validate your hypotheses about the audience composition and behavior
- Compare Audience Insights of your branded searchers against those of your competition
- Research new audience topics
- Inform creative strategy and curate audiences for targeting
All data in Audience Insights comes from Quantcast Measure, where we directly measure user behavior as it occurs. Note: The insights reflect recent activity. They can and will change, and you can analyze those changes at any time to better guide your efforts.
Build a Keyword List
Select Country. In the upper right drop-down menu, select the targeting country (default = 'United States')
Add Keywords. Input search terms, with up to five words per phrase. Type directly into the search box and select individual terms you want to add to your list. You can also use the "Import Keywords" button at the right navigation bar to import as many as 50 keywords in an Excel file (the keywords should all be in column A, one keyword phrase per row).
Tips for Selecting Keywords:
- Plurals and misspellings are considered unique search terms, so if you are planning on using the audience for targeting purposes, consider adding plurals and misspellings in addition to the core terms.
- Search terms with multiple meanings should be avoided, and replaced with more specific phrases to ensure you are reaching the right users (i.e., “sprint” should be replaced with “Sprint phones”, and “mini” should be replaced with “Mini Cooper”
Keyword strength. Keywords will return a relative measure of strength with dots. Fewer dots indicates a low volume of the term availability. Try a broader variation. You can get up to 3 dots in strength.
For optimal Brand Audience targeting, include at least one term with 3 dot strengths.
Audience Insights also shows the “Relative Count of Keyword Searches in a graphical representation of each keyword’s audience size relative to one another. The larger the bubble, the more observed instances of individual searches on that keyword.
Curate Your Keyword List. Individual keyword phrases can be removed from the search audience by clicking on the trash icon next to the phrase. This will immediately change the demographic and search results, allowing you to experiment with different keyword combinations.
Save Keyword Audience. Once you have curated a search-based audience that has your desired characteristics for targeting, click “Save”. You will be prompted to name your audience. We recommend selecting descriptive and easy-to-remember names, such as “Diet Searchers”, “Loyalists”, or “Competitive Conquesting”. You can find your saved audiences on the Audiences page, and they are available on a Brand line item’s audience selection.
Now that you’ve configured your Custom Audience, learn how to interpret your Audience Insights for a Custom Audience.